Car ride

The public prosecutor's office and police are investigating the driver of the car in Witzenhausen on suspicion of murder. He may have deliberately driven the car into the group of children. A witness now provided an important clue

The public prosecutor’s office and the police are investigating the driver of the car in Witzenhausen on suspicion of murder. He may have deliberately driven the car into the group of children. A witness has now provided an important clue.

Image: Swen Pfortner, dpa

The public prosecutor’s office and the police are investigating the driver of the car in Witzenhausen on suspicion of murder. He may have intentionally driven the car into the group of children. A witness supplied now an important reference.

Picture: Swen Pfortner, dpa

After the fatal collision of a car with a group of schoolchildren in northern Hesse, the investigation is no longer for an accident, but for murder. It is suspected that the driver intentionally drove the car into the group, the public prosecutor’s office and police said on Monday. The 30-year-old has been placed in a psychiatric hospital in the meantime. There are suspicions that he “suffers from a considerable psychiatric illness and that, according to the current state of knowledge, this could have been the cause of the decision to commit the crime, the investigators reported further.

The 30-year-old Turkish national allegedly drove a car into the group of schoolchildren on a sidewalk in front of a daycare center in Witzenhausen on Friday. An eight-year-old girl succumbed to her serious injuries in hospital a few hours later. Two girls aged seven and eight were seriously injured.

Car driver plowed into group of children in Witzenhausen: Witness provides crucial clue

The investigators had initially assumed an accident, they did not have indications of an intent at first. In the course of further investigations, however, a previously unknown witness came forward, it was said on Monday. His statements put the events “in a completely different light” appear. This and the preliminary opinion of an expert led to a reassessment of the case, as a spokesman for the Kassel public prosecutor’s office explained.

Now, according to the public prosecutor’s office and the police, there is an “urgent suspicion that the 30-year-old made an active steering movement in the direction of the elementary school students and thus intentionally caused the death of one child and the injury of several children. There were no indications for an extremist or terrorist background. The case is being investigated on suspicion of attempted and completed treacherous murder, dangerous bodily injury and dangerous interference with traffic. The 30-year-old is said in his interrogation of a “blackout” have spoken.

No skid marks at the scene of the accident in Witzenhausen

The mayor of Witzenhausen, Daniel Herz (no party affiliation), who used to work for the Criminal Investigation Department, was still on the phone with the police and the public prosecutor’s office in the afternoon. “The mood in the village has been very depressing since Friday, regardless of whether it was an accident or intentional”, Herz told the German Press Agency. The turn of events in the case is “surprising”. Most citizens would have assumed “that something medical is behind it”. However, there had probably been no skid marks.

After fatal accident near Ravensburg: 30 officers search for fugitive driver

Further investigations in the case include the analysis of a blood sample of the 30-year-old for possible substances such as drugs, alcohol or medication. In addition, the question of his culpability will be at stake.

Deadly car attacks: Several similar incidents in the past

The fatal car accident in Witzenhausen is reminiscent of several incidents in the recent past in which pedestrians were hit by cars and died or suffered injuries. The suspected car attack on the Shrove Monday procession in Volkmarsen in northern Hesse in February 2020 caused horror. A 31-year-old today is said to have deliberately driven into the crowd of spectators. 90 people suffered injuries, some of them serious. In total, the public prosecutor’s office assumes that more than 150 people were affected. Currently, the trial of the 31-year-old German is underway, among other things, it is about attempted murder.

Like this post? Please share to your friends:
Leave a Reply

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: