A Breadmaker (Breadmaker is an electric kitchen appliance that can be used to bake delicious bread at home. At Breadmaker test 2022 we have evaluated current models in detail. Devices, which could convince most with the baking result, the handling and the price performance ratio, were distinguished as test winners with 5 stars.
How does a breadmaker work?
A breadmaker (short: BBA) takes over the complete bread baking process Kneading and baking process during the bread making process. The user only needs to put in the ingredients such as water, yeast, salt and flour.
The breadmaker then does the rest of the work. In specialized trade there are all kinds of baking mixtures, with which one can prepare numerous different bread kinds. All bread makers tested have several baking programs, so that different types as well as different sized breads can be baked.
Finally, many bread makers allow the desired degree of browning to be set. A good bread maker has different baking programs and can produce the following types of bread, among others:
- Wholemeal bread
- White bread
- Grain bread
- Mixed bread
- Gluten-free bread
- Rye bread
Many models can also prepare other baked products such as rolls and cake or pizza dough. Some devices such as the Ariete 131 even have programs to be able to make jam.
- Homemade bread is less expensive than that from the Becker
- Always fresh bread in the house when needed
- modern baking machines are equipped with many functions (u.a. also jam and yogurt preparation possible)
- Suitable for people with grain allergies thanks to baking programs for gluten-free bread
- consumes less electricity than if the bread is prepared in the oven
- need relatively much place in the kitchen
- only loaves possible
Breadmakers from the following manufacturers were tested
Our editorship put many baking automats of different manufacturers on the test stand.
- Morphy Richards
There are still numerous further manufacturers, which offer high-quality automats for bread baking in the specialized trade. Models from Bomann, Kenwood, Tefal, Klarstein and Russel Hobbs are recommended.
Baking your own bread – quick and easy
Bread is almost everyone likes. Whether with sweet jam, savory sausage or a spicy spread. As a rule, bread is eaten every day. If you want to save yourself the trip to the bakery and the associated costs, a good bread maker is the ideal kitchen tool to prepare fresh bread yourself every day.
Now to the baking instructions for delicious and oven-fresh bread
- First of all, you should always read the manufacturer’s instructions. As a rule, there is important information in which order the baking ingredients must be added. Information on when to add the necessary yeast to the dough is also written there.
- If the BBA is to be used variably, it is advisable to make sure when buying that different sizes can be produced. So determine the size of the desired baking pan.
- The ingredients should be at about room temperature before use. Then flour, water, salt etc. must be added. be placed in the mold in the prescribed order.
- The baking pan is then placed in the bread maker.
Editors: Many of the devices signal to the user the correct seating of the mold with an audible locking sound.
- Now all programming settings must be set on the bread machine. On the one hand, the weight of the bread and also the desired browning should be specified.
- The last step is to close the lid and start the machine. The bread maker now runs through all phases of the set baking program – from dough rising to the baking process. When the bread is ready it is usually signaled by a sound. Possibly the device beeps in between. This means that other ingredients, such as nuts or grains can be added. Here is worthwhile in any case also a look at the instructions.
- Once the bread is baked, it must be removed from the baking pan. Most good bread makers have a mold with non-stick coating, so that the bread can be easily released. If you still have problems, you can use the wooden or plastic spatulas that are often supplied.
- The bread should now rest a few minutes before it is cut. If the crust has become too hard during baking, the bread can be placed in a sealable plastic bag. This makes the crust much softer within a few hours.
At the beginning we recommend to take a recipe from the manufacturer’s manual, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic functions of the bread maker.
As a result, many recipes can be found on the Internet or in cookbooks – often especially for the breadmaker. Otherwise, there are also all kinds of baking mixtures in the supermarket, which makes bread making even easier and faster.
Breadmaker buying guide
We have already shown how such a device works and how easy it is to bake your own bread. What should be paid attention to when buying, we would like to explain in the following Buying advice set out.
In the trade there are many different bread makers with many functions and programs. Some models even have 12 baking programs and more.
What good is the best breadmaker if it can only bake small loaves of bread?? To help you find the right model for your family, we have compiled all the important criteria for you.
When buying a bread maker, you should make sure that the device can also produce the required quantity. All manufacturers provide information on the possible weights of the bread in the product description.
Some of the bread makers we tested make loaves up to a weight of 1.800g here. It is important to make sure that there is the possibility of variation, so that the prepared amount of bread can always be adjusted to the current need.
Number of baking programs
All bread makers offer the user a variety of different baking programs. These differ in the points of kneading time, resting times and baking time. Some bread machines have additional programs for the preparation of jam, gluten-free bread and even yogurt.
The best bread makers offer the possibility to edit an own program, where individual settings for baking time and resting time can be made. A recommendable bread machine with an individual program is, for example, the Unold 68415 with 615 watts of power that we tested.
The power of a bread maker is specified in watts. As a rule, this is between 500 and 800 watts. However, these values say very little about the quality of the device and the final power consumption. The wattage should therefore not be a criterion for the purchase.
All bread makers are equipped with dough hooks, which allows the dough to be prepared in the end. The mixing hooks from the kneading usually remain in the dough with inexpensive devices, which can lead to unsightly holes.
To avoid this, the dough hook can be removed by hand after the last mixing process. High-quality bread makers have a special function, whereby the kneading mechanism is automatically folded down before baking.
All modern bread makers are equipped with a timer controlled timer. This allows you to put all the ingredients into the device the night before and program it accordingly so that the bread is already baked in the morning for breakfast.
Addition of ingredients
If special breads are to be baked, for example nut or grain breads, it is necessary to add further ingredients. Since grains nuts and raisins can suffer during the work of the dough hook, they are usually added to the ingredient dispenser only during a later mixing process.
Inexpensive bread makers indicate this with a special signal tone. Here it is worthwhile to have a look at the manual in advance. Expensive devices offer the user the possibility of adding advanced ingredients to the device in advance, which are then incorporated into the dough at the correct time. Our bread maker test winner, for example, has a yeast and raisin nut distributor.
What shapes are possible?
Depending on the design, square or box-shaped breads can be baked with a machine.
Keep warm function
All models in the bread maker test are equipped with a keep warm function. Thanks to this, the bread is kept warm in the BBA until it is removed. In combination with the time preselection, you can always enjoy fresh and warm bread in the morning, even if it takes a little longer in the bathroom again.
When it comes to accessories, manufacturers include all the things needed for baking bread, including measuring cups, measuring spoons and hooks for removing the kneading tool. Further special accessories are usually unnecessary.
Suitability for gluten-free baking
In case of gluten allergy or gluten intolerance, the use of many cereals such as wheat, oats, rye, barley, spelt and green spelt must be avoided. This is due to the fact that gluten (so-called gluten protein) leads to irritation of the small intestine mucosa in allergy sufferers.
The result is nausea and vomiting. For this reason, we have put some models, especially for allergy sufferers, to the test in the bread maker comparison, with which gluten-free bread can be baked.
Recommended appliances for gluten-free baking are our bread maker test winner, as well as the following tested models.
- Panasonic SD-ZB2502BXE (test report)
- Unold 8695
- Moulinex OW 3101
- CBeem D1000.310
- Panasonic SD-2501WXE
When buying, you should make sure that the BBA has an extra program with which the kneading time and resting time can be set individually. Thanks to this setting, gluten-free bread doughs can also be prepared without any problems.
Particularly high-quality devices have special programs for gluten allergy sufferers. This makes baking even easier. In our bread maker reviews, we provide specific information on whether gluten-free breads can be baked with the respective model.
Test results from Stiftung Warentest
The last time Stiftung Warentest tested bread makers was in 2005. 16 models in the price range from 37.50 to 179 euros were tested. Very good results with wholemeal breads were achieved by machines from the manufacturers AFK and Germatic. The Unold Backmeister, on the other hand, provided the testers with the best gluten-free bread.
With our bread maker comparison we now give a current market overview of the best models. Whether normal mixed bread, wholemeal bread or breads for grain allergy sufferers – with a high-quality machine you always have the choice.
How much does a good breadmaker cost?
Depending on the manufacturer, number of programs and equipment, the prices of the devices differ significantly. Cheap models are already available from about 30 to 40 euros. The best bread makers cost up to 180 euros. Particularly cheap machines from discounters, however, usually offer only inferior quality.
Often only a few types of bread can be baked. In addition, there are often weak points in the area of non-stick coating. Cereal allergy sufferers should also make sure that the appliance is suitable for gluten-free baking and, in the best case, is equipped with a special GLUTEN-FREE program.
* Advertising link – Our website receives a small commission through your order, which finances our consumer portal.