Translate into and many more languages
ATTENTION! After the translation the links with the flags don’t work anymore! Other languages can be only on the original page could be selected!
Likewise it is not possible look at the pictures in the translation. Due to Google-Translate this is only possible on the original page.
Table of contents
Information about the Blaupunkt – Bosch company
Many thanks to the Bosch company, who kindly provided me with this data: Success stories
You have more information about this company, you can send them to us by clicking on the following link: I have info about this company. Thank you!
- 6. November 1923: Foundation of the Ideal Radio Telefon- und Apparatefabrik GmbH .
- Autumn 1925: Move to a multi-storey factory building at Kopenicker Strasse 10a in Berlin.
- December 1926: Renamed Idealwerke Society for Wireless Telephony Ltd (from 1927 AG).
- July 1930: Move to a new factory building in Berlin-Hohenschonhausen.
- June 1933: Takeover of the entire share capital by Robert Bosch AG.
- September 1936: Move into a new factory building in Berlin-Wilmersdorf, Forckenbeckstrabe 9-13.
- 16. December 1938: Renamed Blaupunkt-Werke and converted into a GmbH (limited liability company). Construction of Plant II at Kopenicker Strasse 154.
- September 1945: Foundation of Blaupunkt-Apparatebau GmbH in Hildesheim (factory in Berlin-Wilmersdorf occupied and dismantled by Soviet soldiers). Three independent companies in Berlin, Hildesheim and Munich respectively. Taufkirchen.
- Fall 1948: Relocation from Berlin to Darmstadt. Munich plant closed.
- February 1952: Merger of Blaupunkt-Apparatebau GmbH with Blaupunkt-Werke GmbH. Who moved their headquarters from Berlin to Hildesheim. Relocation from Darmstadt to Hildesheim.
- April 1957: Acquisition of the site in Hildesheim by Robert Bosch GmbH 
Further data on Blaupunkt: Robert Bosch GmbH, Bosch Archive, 2003
Blaupunkt car radio and navigation: milestones:
- 1932: First car radio AS5.
- 1935: 5A75 with new control unit.
- 1939: Blaupunkt Autosuper type:7A79 
Blaupunkt car radio woman in VW 1951 6637
From travel companion to navigator – a chronicle of Blaupunkt in the automobile
Robert Bosch GmbH, Bosch Archive, 04.07.2003
“The equipment is always ready for operation, requires no maintenance and, above all, is insensitive to all harmful external influences. A small turn of the knob and you always have an amusing travel companion, which shortens and beautifies the endless hours of long journeys. Is it not also your wish to own a Blaupunkt car receiver?”
This advertising text recommended the new product of Ideal-Werke in Berlin, which in 1932 sold under its brand name of Blaupunkt presented a car radio to the public. It was called “AS 5”, written out “Autosuper 5”; the “5” stood for an equipment with 5 tubes. It was the first mass-produced car radio in Germany.
We know that this radio was not developed at Ideal-Werke in Berlin, but at the parent company Bosch, which had just taken over Ideal-Werke. However, the number of radios of this type manufactured has remained hidden. Only two examples are known to exist in Europe, but both are incomplete. Connoisseurs of the scene assume that about 400 pieces were manufactured, of which about half were delivered to the USA. Here, where the use of radios in automobiles had been loudly considered since 1922 – a year before radio was even available in Germany – it was certainly easier to sell radios for automobiles. Customers had been familiar with the product since 1929, when U.S. manufacturers began offering car radios for their models. Cadillac and Chrysler even offered it as standard equipment.
In Germany, acceptance was more restrained. Finally cost a AS 5 over 300 Reichsmark, which was almost a fifth of the price of a small car. In order to attract the attention of larger and financially stronger customer groups, it was also offered for motorboats and aircraft.
Technical problems initially hampered the wider distribution. After all, Bosch was moving on largely uncharted territory. The tubes could not withstand the vibrations of the bumpy country roads for a long time. At the same time, the problem of interference suppression had to be solved. After all, the ignition systems of the vehicles produced interference in reception. The reception strength also had to meet other requirements, because unlike today, reception in rural areas was not guaranteed by a nationwide network of transmitting stations.
From 1935, the time had come for the further developed Autosuper, the 5A75, was adapted to the requirements, and despite its still high price of 366.25 Reichsmark – three times the monthly wage of an unskilled factory worker – sold several thousand units under its brand name.
Compared to the AS 5 the successor models were adapted to the tough conditions of the road. At the same time, they combined the amplifier, receiver and loudspeakers in one housing, which was mounted under the dashboard and still had a capacity of ten liters. Its weight had been slimmed down from 15 to 12 kilograms. What remained the same, however, was the clever remote control. It was connected to the device by two flexible shafts and mounted under the steering column. This predecessor of today’s infrared remote controls enabled the driver to switch on the device and to adjust volume and transmitter. The manufacturer praised “the high sensitivity”, to be able to receive several transmitters even during the day. After dark, on the other hand, it is possible to listen to almost all major European stations listed on the dial, as well as many small stations.
The Second World War temporarily ended the gradually blossoming success story. A preliminary last model appeared in 1941. It was mainly used in Wehrmacht vehicles.
While the first automobiles were built in the first year after the war, the first car radios were not available until 1949; after all, they were still expensive luxury equipment to which hardly any motorist could have devoted his attention in such scarce times. The Idealwerke GmbH, since 1938 Blaupunkt-Werke GmbH, started their production after the relocation of the company headquarters from Berlin to Hildesheim with the model 5 A 649. This model was already installed in the dashboard. Behind its dainty panel with control buttons and transmitter scale, which comes close to today’s car radio fronts in terms of installation position and size, there was a voluminous two-part housing; however, it had shrunk from 15 to a good three liters.
In the following year, Blaupunkt began to expand its product range to meet various requirements and vehicle models. The car radio was systematically developed into a mass product. As early as 1950, a device was available specifically for installation in the VW Beetle. In the same year, the first system for buses, as well as two differently equipped models called “Stuttgart” and “Hamburg”. With these, Blaupunkt ushered in the era of devices named after cities, an era that continues to this day. Until the end of the 1970s, however, these were exclusively German names, before the French capital of Paris was the inspiration for a device for the first time in 1978.
In the years that followed, the company went from strength to strength: In 1952, station buttons for selecting preset stations and the first FM radio were introduced. 1954 the first mechanical station search and 1957 the first devices with space-saving transistors. This technical innovation made the radios lighter and smaller, while at the same time reducing their energy consumption: tube radios that were operated for a few hours without the engine running could occasionally cause problems when starting the car afterwards. In addition, car radios with transistors worked immediately after switching on, without the “commemorative minute” common with tube radios. The success left nothing to be desired: In 1959, Blaupunkt celebrated its one millionth car radio. Until today there are more than 50 million.
In 1960, Blaupunkt introduced a device to the German citizens who were enthusiastic about excursions called “WesterlandThe “holder” was installed in the car, but could be removed from the slot for Sunday picnics. This was the birth of the idea with which Blaupunkt offered customers a special type of anti-theft device from 1985 onwards: the so-called “Quickout” mount.
Blaupunkt concentrated on tuning its car radios to the needs of its customers since about 1960. To ensure that Blaupunkt car radios were suitable for the original equipment of car manufacturers, they were offered with individual bezels matched to all current models. At the same time, Blaupunkt launched the first export devices on the market from 1960 onwards. They differed not only in the language of the printed words on the controls, but mainly in the tuning of the selectable frequency ranges to the respective export country. In addition, they often bore the names of local cities: just as the “Frankfurt” was available in Germany, there was the “Aspen” in the USA. In Latin America, Blaupunkt sold the radios for a time under the brand name of the parent company Bosch, which was more common there.
Blaupunkt developed a car tape recorder, which was launched in 1965, so that customers on the road would not have to do without their favorite music on board. This was followed in 1968 by the first combination car radio and cassette player – which had since been changed to the common “compact cassette” format -. 1985 the first car CD player. 2000 the first device with MiniDisc player and 2001 the first MP3 device for cars.
From 1969, Blaupunkt customers were able to enjoy stereophony with the world’s first car radio, which had already been available for home appliances since 1958, but could only be implemented in the necessary compact design of a car radio in 1969.
The development of car radios in the 1970s was not only characterized by technical refinement – such as noise suppression – but also by the introduction of new technologies. tape type selection and stereo sound on cassette players – but was marked by a significant development, with which the car radio was not only an entertainer, but now also a helper in route planning and in matters of road safety. In 1974, Blaupunkt introduced the traffic radio decoder “ARI” (“Autofahrer-Rundfunk-Information”). Wherever someone in Germany was on the road with the car, he could find out with this equipment, on which freeways traffic jams had formed. On the one hand, this made it possible to swerve in time to routes with less traffic, but on the other hand, it also contributed to traffic safety, since traffic jams often begin behind hilltops or curves and are difficult to see. From 1976, the first car radio was available, in which this decoder was integrated structurally.
Just nine years later, Blaupunkt caused a sensation with a development that initially appeared only as a prototype, but has since become an integral part of the Blaupunkt product range: navigation for car drivers.
The “electronic traffic pilot for drivers,” abbreviated “EVA,” made it possible as early as 1983 to be guided to one’s destination within limited terrain with the help of an electronic map. The input of start and destination coordinates was enough and a sonorous voice told the driver when to turn where. to get directly to his destination.
The idea was born after a research project called “ALI” (“Autofahrer-Leit- und Informationssystem”). This consisted of induction loops embedded in the freeway lanes in a large-scale test in the Ruhr region, enabling drivers with appropriate receivers to determine where traffic density was suspiciously high – namely, where the induction loops had registered too many cars. traffic flow would still be possible.
The weakness of this system was that after leaving the highway, the driver was helpless on his alternate route without a map. This is why the idea of self-sufficient navigation was born, which was implemented for the first time in the “EVA” project.
The development still had to overcome a number of hurdles, but thanks to the new storage medium “CompactDisc” (“CD”), which was able to store the necessary amount of data for all roads in Germany, and with the satellite-controlled navigation introduced in the mid-1990s, Blaupunkt was able to present a product in 1995 with the “Travelpilot”, which made a standard road atlas on board no longer necessary from then on.
In addition to the constant comfort improvements of the 1990s, such as the station identification “Radio Data System” (“RDS”), the stored and currently retrievable traffic information in the “Traffic Information Memory” (“TIM”) system and security features for theft protection, such as removable control panels and the “keycards”, without which a radio could not be operated, a significant development was added in 1997. It expanded the function of the radio beyond entertainment and information and was called “Radiophone”. Behind the name was a car radio in normal format, equipped with all the functions of a cell phone.
With these four pillars – entertainment, information, navigation and communication – Blaupunkt has arrived in the multimedia age. The objections to the first car radios, that they could distract the driver, never paid off. Advocates of the car radio replied to this objection already in the thirties, a passenger talks, too, after all. Unlike the radio, however, the driver could not turn off the passenger.
Attention: These data and also the picture material are legally protected and property of the Bosch – Blaupunkt archive. Thanks again for the data.
Dear collectors, on this page you will find advertising and factory information of the Blaupunkt company. You have more advertising/brochures of this company, then you can send it to us by clicking on the following link: I have advertising material about this company. Many thanks!