Admins should install the current versions of IBM Spectrum Protect and IBM Spectrum Protect Plus. Both backup applications have several security swallow. In the worst case, attackers were able to export their own commands.
The most dangerous is a vulnerability (CVE-2021-29672) in the client of IBM Spectrum Protect. Here, local attackers were able to exclude storage errors (Buffer Overflow) due to insufficient checks in processing the locale settings. Afterwards, they were able to abandon the application (DOS) or even malicious code with increased right-wing exports.
The lights are affected by the AIX, Linux, MacOS, Solaris and Windows systems. The vulnerability is with the degree of threat "high" classy. Through the successful exploitation of another LUCKE (CVE-2021-20546, "middle") Spectrum Protect also crashed.
Even more attacks possible
Another vulnerability (CVE-2021-20532, "high") Metally aming it, to acquire high user rights and to complete systems, warns IBM. Windows affects Windows affected.
The following versions are protected against the attacks described:
- IBM Spectrum Protect Backup Archive Client 8.1.12
- IBM Spectrum Protect for Space Management 8.1.12
- IBM SPECTRUM PROTECT for Virtual Environments: Data Protection for VMware 8.1.12
- IBM SPECTRUM PROTECT for Virtual Environments: Data Protection for Hyper-V 8.1.12
IBM SPECTRUM PROTECT PLUS is about three security swallowing (CVE-2021-20432, CVE-2021-20536, CVE-2021-29694, "middle") attackable. Among other things, attackers could access actually exhausted information. Against these attacks is the Version 10.1.8th roused.
List by threat degree in descendant:
- Stack-Based Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities in IBM Spectrum Protect Back-up Archive Client and IBM Spectrum Protect for Space Management (CVE-2021-29672, CVE-2021-20546)
- Privilege escalation vulnerability in IBM Spectrum Protect Backup Archive Client and IBM Spectrum Protect for Virtual Environments (CVE-2021-20532)
- Information Disclosure in IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Microsoft File Systems Backup and Restore Log Files (CVE-2021-20536)
- IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Allow Weak Cryptographic Algorithms (CVE-2021-29694)